Saturday, January 17, 2009

Workshop with Scott Walker

by Eleanor Hendriks

This past week I had the pleasure of spending three days at the Haliburton School of The Arts
for the first in a series of workshops for professional potters.

The first presenter was Scott Walker of Peterborough, Ontario. He makes functional wheel thrown pottery in traditional shapes with a refined sensibility. He uses beautiful glazes and his teapots are elegant little gems.


This monstrous tourtierre (I'm guessing it is 15" across!) had everyone oooh-ing and ah-ing. Attempting this shape will be my next challenge in the studio...


Scott demonstrated many of his signature pieces with good grace and humour. I was particularily taken with Scott's attention to detail -particularily to the bottoms of his pieces.



The foot on this bowl is so refined -I would be tempted to display it upside down!



A finished bottom -notice the very particular glaze application, on both the usually unseen bottom and in the carved bands, all set off by smoothly finished unglazed porcelain.

And, because it is always nice to match the potter to the pots... the face behind the work...

Thanks, Scott!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the diameter of that tortiere. Very nice precision throwing and attn to detail... I love that.

Linda Starr said...

Scott's work is so precise, amazing.

Anonymous said...

I love matching a face to a pot! ;)

And, I agree - I just love the deep foot on the bowl - gorgeous!

Michele D. said...

Ooooooooo, wonderful footed bowl. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to start practicing something like that right away. It is such a gorgeous, unexpected surprise at the bottom of an already beautiful piece.

You've inspired me!


michele d.

Related Posts with Thumbnails